Saturday, March 21, 2020

Creativity and New Media

I chose to play The Sims for this assignment. It was quite interesting, especially given that we are recommended to stay home due to the pandemic going on, so it felt like a little escape. The first thing I had to do was to create my avatar. It became challenging for me to do so because the clothes options were horrendous, but I managed. Next, I was taken to my house. I had to fix and decorate the interior of the house with the little options I was given. I had never played games such as Sims or Second Life before, so it was a surprise to me that I had to do a lot of things to play it. I was given work as a barista at a local coffee shop where I had to work shifts. The Sims makes it mandatory that you work, decorate your house, and interact with other Sims because these assignments are assigned to you as “Quests” that you must complete in order to receive more rewards and cash and to level up. I thought it was funny that one of the quests was for my Sim to rest because I wouldn’t think a digital character would need to. My favorite part about the game was decorating my house. Although I don’t plan on playing the game consistently, I know a friend who does. She has shown me her house and it is huge. She even expanded it! If one truly is dedicated to playing Sims, they can be very creative in decorating their house.





2 comments:

  1. Hi Jailine,
    I played the Sims for this assignment too! I also enjoyed decorating my sim's house. I feel that it really allows you to customize your virtual life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jailine,
    The Sims is such a popular game that I've seen all over YouTube. This is definitely a super customizable game that fosters creativity as one is able to decorate the interior of their houses as well as work shifts and communicate with others. They have made the game very similar to how humans go on with their everyday lives and let players envision a virtual life.

    ReplyDelete